Monday, April 14, 2008

Our Children

Well many may already know that Chad and I already have two kids, Gracy and Rilee. We adore them and they never fail to bring a smile to our faces. After much debate on the subject, Chad and I decided that if we were ever going to get new furniture for the house then they would have to be declawed. I went back and forth about it for such a long time. The day that we rescued Gracy from the shelter, I talked to one of the employees there about declawing a cat. When she told me that declawing a cat is like cutting a person's finger off at the knuckle, I couldn't bear to put my kids through that and I dropped the idea completely.


Many months later, we adopted Rilee from a family that could no longer have her since they just had a baby that ended up being allergic (what are the odds!?). Unfortunately, Rilee was allowed to scratch on everything at the prior owners home, a habit that I knew had to be broken. So here we are about 5 months later, and while she has gotten better, Rilee just can't kick her habit. Gracy was even falling victim to Rilee's influence and also began scratching on things she wasn't supposed to. Chad and I revisited the idea of having them declawed and decided it would be the best choice. Our decision became completely solidified when I found out that both of them have been secretly scratching on the coat rack in our living room!


The kids went in on Tuesday to have the deed done. Chad dropped them off and picked them up later that evening. All was well at first. They were still out of it from the surgery and pretty much slept. The vet wraps up their feet pretty good and it looks like they have huge white boots on their feet. Gracy however, decided it would be fun to jump off my lap and run upstairs, something she should not be doing after having her surgery. Well things turned into a mess once that happened. Gracy was meowing like crazy, Rilee was bleeding all over, Chad was gone visiting his family, and I couldn't stop crying. It was a disaster! Things ended up working out and the kids are doing much better now, though they are both still walking funny even without their boots on their feet.

I couldn't get a picture of Gracy and her boots, but here's Rilee. This was after the fiasco with her bleeding all over. She ended up falling asleep on my lap.


Another one of Rilee. Gracy pretty much hid until we took her boots off her.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

How sad!!! Oh I am so sad for them. Look at the boots...awww

Ashley said...

Poor kitties...but I will agree that it was a good choice!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.